Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband is famous for this wonderfully easy grilled chicken. People are usually skeptical about its green color but they always fall in love with its spicy, Asian flavor and tender texture.
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, with roots
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 small red hot chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (found in Asian markets)
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into pieces (we usually use breast tenders)
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk, reserve 1/2 cup
- Trim cilanto root ends.
- In a blender, combine cilantro bunch, garlic, chile peppers, curry powder, turmeric, sugar, fish sauce, and coconut milk.
- Blend until a smooth, thick paste.
- Rub chicken pieces with cilantro paste.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Put chicken pieces on prepared grill.
- While grilling, brush liberally with 1/2 cup reserved coconut milk.
- Grill until browned and tender.
Oh! This was GOOOOD!! It was easy, it's definitely green (and then turns a bit grey when cooked) and it's delicious. Apparently my bunch of cilantro was too small because my marinade was not at all thick and pasty. I recommend you add the coconut milk incrementally in order to get the proper thickness. No matter, I put it all in a baking dish and baked it 1 hour at 350° since our grill is on the fritz and I didn't want to have to watch the broiler closely for that long. Congrats to your dh, boomoo! This is killer!!