Recipe by newspapergal
I adopted this recipe, which originally was submitted by Mean Chef.
Top Review by personalchef
I was doing some researching before posting my Welsh Rarebit recipe, and found this. This is nearly perfect, only authentic difference is that the Rarebit should be served on very thick and crisp toast points. No need to post mine.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2⁄3 cup ale
- 10 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 6 English muffins, split in halves, toasted
- 6 slices bacon, cooked to crispy
- chopped parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, add the flour and whisk to make a roux.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the ale and boil the mixture for 3 minutes while whisking.
- Reduce heat to low, add the Cheddar cheese, mustard, Worcestershire, and Tabasco pepper sauce, and cook, stirring, until hot but not boiling.
- Spoon the Cheddar mixture over the toasted muffins, garnish with parsley and serve with crispy bacon.