Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
I adopted this recipe, which was originally submitted by Mean Chef. Mean's original comment: "From Sunset Magazine"
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- Beat butter and all the sugar on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla and beat on high speed until well blended.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With mixer on low speed, add one third of the flour mixture, followed by a third of the buttermilk – repeat, alternating in thirds. When all the flour is incorporated beat mixture on medium speed just until well blended.
- Fill paper-lined or buttered muffin cups (1/3-cup capacity) about three-fourths full with batter (about 1/4 cup in each).
- Bake in a 350° oven until tops spring back when lightly touched in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on racks 5 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely.
- Decorate with your favorite frosting.
I just made these cupcakes and I didn't have any problems with the recipe it came out wonderfully..I will definitely them make again :)
I should've read the reviews before I made this. Hard as a Rock! One star for flavor..... not bad. I've made buttermilk cupcakes before and they were much moister. I just wanted to try a different recipe. This was NOT it! The batter was too thick. It also made 14 cupcakes nit 12 like it says. Which is not a big deal but it was just a nuisance using another cupcake pan just for two more cupcakes. More dishes to wash. I have to keep searching or go back to the recipe I used before.
Flavor was very good. I added a tad extra baking powder and buttermilk after reading other reviews saying cupcakes were too dense and crumbly. Even with these changes, I still found them fairly dense and crumbly...I only cooked mine for 20 minutes and they were more than done--15-18 minutes may have been better. Overall an okay recipe considering how easy they were, but I probably would not make these again with all the other recipes out there to try.