I adopted this recipe in Aug. 2006; it originally was posted by Mean Chef, who departed this site. Mean's comments: "This recipe is used to make use of leftover brioche or croissants."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 lb almond paste
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- sliced almonds
- powdered sugar
- 1Bake a brioche loaf according to directions (can use old previously frozen brioche or croissants).
- 2Trim crust from all sides and top of brioche (not bottom).
- 3Cut loaf into thick slices (much like the shape of a thick biscotti) so that they will stand up on a sheetpan.
- 4For syrup: Put all ingredients into a sauce pan, boil over meduim heat for 1 minute to dissolve the sugar, cool completely and discard vanilla pod.
- 5Can be kept for a week refrigerated.
- 6For the Cream: Working at low speed in mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, almonds, and almond paste together until creamy.
- 7Add eggs one at a time and mix until fully blended.
- 8Add flour and mix for another minute.
- 9Fold in almond extract.
- 10Can be kept refrigerated for 3 days.
- 11Preheat oven to 325.
- 12Set a cooling rack over a sheetpan to be used for draining the syrup soaked pieces.
- 13Line another sheetpan with parchment for baking.
- 14One by one submerge the brioche slices into the soaking syrup, making sure that they are well moistened.
- 15Place each slice onto rack to drain.
- 16As soon as the last slice has been soaked, begin working on the first slice that you submerged.
- 17Spread a thin layer of the almond cream over the top and sides of each slice.
- 18Place the coated slices standing on the uncoated bottom on the parchment lined sheetpan.
- 19Press sliced almonds into cream on the top of each slice.
- 20Bake for about 20 minutes, untilthe cream is golden brown.
- 22Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Chef's Twice-Baked Brioche
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.2
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 83.3 mg
- Sodium 22.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 49.4 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: