1/9 Photos of Mean Chef's Steak Au Poivre
I adopted this recipe after its original poster, Mean Chef, departed the site. I have made this recipe a few times, without the sauce to cut calories, and I never would've thought steak made in the oven would be so delicious!!! Mean posted the recipe on Apr 3, 2003. (IHHDRO)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oven to 500°F.
- 2Sprinkle the steaks with salt on both sides, and then press the ground peppercorns into the steaks on both sides.
- 3Set a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add just enough olive oil to make a light film.
- 4When the oil is very hot, add the steaks, cooking until nicely browned on one side, about 3 minute.
- 5(If the pan is small, work in batches.) Flip the meat over and put the skillet in the oven.
- 6For medium-rare steaks, roast for 3 minutes for 6-ounce steaks; 4 minutes for 8-ounce steaks.
- 7Check for doneness with the tip of a knife or by pressing with your fingertips, keeping in mind that the steaks will cook a bit more as they sit.
- 8Transfer the steaks to a warm plate and tent with foil.
- 9With a spoon, remove any fat from the skillet.
- 10Put the skillet back on the burner and heat to medium high.
- 11Add the wine and cook until it's reduced to 1/4 cup, about 7 minutes, scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon. REMOVE PAN FROM THE HEAT.
- 12Whisk in the butter a slice at a time, whisking until completely melted.
- 13Taste and adjust the seasonings, drizzle the sauce over the steaks, and serve immediately with more sauce on the side.
- 14Variations: add shallots to the pan sauce, finish with chopped parsley.
- 15substitute 4 tbl cognac and 1/2 cup dark stock in place of the wine.
- 16substitute 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup cognac for the wine- reduce slightly to thicken.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Chef's Steak Au Poivre
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 555.9
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 168.3 mg
- Sodium 193.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 35.9 g