I adopted this recipe after its original poster, Mean Chef, departed the site. I have made this recipe a few times, without the sauce to cut calories, and I never would've thought steak made in the oven would be so delicious!!! Mean posted the recipe on Apr 3, 2003. (IHHDRO)
- Heat the oven to 500°F.
- Sprinkle the steaks with salt on both sides, and then press the ground peppercorns into the steaks on both sides.
- Set a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add just enough olive oil to make a light film.
- When the oil is very hot, add the steaks, cooking until nicely browned on one side, about 3 minute.
- (If the pan is small, work in batches.) Flip the meat over and put the skillet in the oven.
- For medium-rare steaks, roast for 3 minutes for 6-ounce steaks; 4 minutes for 8-ounce steaks.
- Check for doneness with the tip of a knife or by pressing with your fingertips, keeping in mind that the steaks will cook a bit more as they sit.
- Transfer the steaks to a warm plate and tent with foil.
- With a spoon, remove any fat from the skillet.
- Put the skillet back on the burner and heat to medium high.
- Add the wine and cook until it's reduced to 1/4 cup, about 7 minutes, scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon. REMOVE PAN FROM THE HEAT.
- Whisk in the butter a slice at a time, whisking until completely melted.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, drizzle the sauce over the steaks, and serve immediately with more sauce on the side.
- Variations: add shallots to the pan sauce, finish with chopped parsley.
- substitute 4 tbl cognac and 1/2 cup dark stock in place of the wine.
- substitute 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup cognac for the wine- reduce slightly to thicken.