Recipe by newspapergal
This recipe was posted by Mean Chef; I adopted it after he departed the site. Mean's comments: "Recipe from Alice Waters. A very tasty and striking salad - all white."
Top Review by CookstoRelax
Absolutely delicious! I used less cheese than called for but this is a very cool refreshing salad. If you're looking for something different to perk up a cook out this is it!
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 3 large white mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lemon
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and trim fennel bulbs- cut away feathery tops and root end.
- Using a vegetable slicer or mandolin, slice the fennel as thinly as possible and scatter over a plate or platter.
- Drizzle with 2 tbl of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Shave mushrooms into paper thin slices and scatter over fennel.
- Season with more salt and pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and the remaining olive oil.
- With a cheese slicer or vegetable peeler, shave about 30 thin slivers of parmesan on top of the fennel and mushrooms.
- Serve immediately.