Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 24 pecan halves
- additional granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- I an electric mixer cream butter, shortening, both sugars and vanilla until mixture is well combined.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to mixer along with chopped pecans.
- Combine well.
- Either use a small portion scoop or roll pieces of dough into 1 - 2-inch balls.
- Arrange on parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Place a pecan half on top of each round, sprinkle with a little sugar and press down with the bottom of a glass to flatten to about 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake until very pale golden.
The Cardamom really adds another layer of flavor in these yummy cookies. This was a real pleaser with my whole family and I will be using this recipe often for sure!
As a devoted fan of anything pecan and most things cardamom I had to try these. They turned out very nicely- I had intended to time them so that I could post a baking time, but they smelled so good that all sensible thought deserted me. My only complaint is that the recipe doesn't make more! A double batch will definitely be in order the next time I make them.
These are a pecan sandie-type cookie with a twist. Both the texture and the flavor is wonderful. Next time, I will probably put the sugar on the tops of the cookies before pressing the pecans on. The sugar seemed to want to just roll off the pecans. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you!!