Recipe by Jeff Hixson
Originally posted by Mean Chef.
Top Review by WaCookinFool
Excellent recipe! I made it exactly as written the first time and served it with meatballs. Very good. I made it again the next day but this time I used beef broth instead of vegetable stock. I could not see or taste any difference. Both were excellent. Will be serving this at an upcoming wedding even for 200 guests.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock, store-bought or homemade
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the flour; it will become very pasty.
- Cook this roux for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- It will stick to the bottom of the pan a little bit; that's okay.
- Stir in the stock, wine, soy sauce, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Cook the sauce at a lively simmer for 5 minutes, stirring almost constantly and scraping any crusty bits that adhere to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve in a sauceboat.