1/2 Photos of Mean Chef's Meatloaf With Mushroom Gravy
1 hr 30 mins
I adopted this recipe from Mean Chef. He and I made it together one cold spring in 2005 "Just your basic fabulous meatloaf with mushroom gravy. Great serve cold on a sandwich."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard, plus
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 2 lbs ground beef (equal parts beef, pork, and veal preferred)
- 2/3 cup crushed saltine
- 1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces thinly sliced bacon
Mushroom Gravy recipe 66984
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Pour the oil into a sauté pan and set over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 5In a mixing bowl, stir together the eggs, thyme, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and milk.
- 6Place the ground meat into another bowl and pour the egg mixture over the meat.
- 7Add the saltines, parsley, onion, and garlic to the bowl.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
- 9Roll up your sleeves, and knead the meat together with the other ingredients until well blended (if you like, cook a small portion of the mixture in a pan, taste, and adjust seasoning).
- 10Transfer to a cookie sheet and form into a loaf.
- 11If using the bacon, wrap the slices lengthwise over the top and tuck them under the loaf, to completely cover the meat.
- 12Bake for 1 hour or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf reads 160 degrees.
- 13If the bacon on the top is not as crisp as you would like, put the meatloaf under the broiler for a few minutes.
- 14Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- 16Mushroom Gravy (Mean Chef's Mushroom Gravy): Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
- 17Add the mushrooms and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes.
- 18Stir in the flour; it will become very pasty.
- 19Cook this roux for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 20It will stick to the bottom of the pan a little bit; that's okay.
- 21Stir in the stock, wine, soy sauce, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- 22Cook the sauce at a lively simmer for 5 minutes, stirring almost constantly and scraping any crusty bits that adhere to the bottom of the pan.
- 23Serve in a sauceboat.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Chef's Meatloaf With Mushroom Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1096.9
- Calories from Fat 728
- Total Fat 80.9 g
- Saturated Fat 32.0 g
- Cholesterol 324.8 mg
- Sodium 3301.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 59.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: