Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
I adopted this recipe after its original poster, Mean Chef, departed the site. Mean posted it on Jan 18, 2004. His comments: "Lemony, not too sweet cake. Serve with lemon curd." (Mean's Lemon Curd is Lemon Curd )
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 cup lemon curd (see Lemon Curd)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter and flour a 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Sift flou, baking powder and salt together into a bowl.
- Beat butter and lemon zest together with an electric mixer (use paddle attachment) until light and smooth- about 1 minute.
- Add sugar, eggs, coriander and mace; beat until smooth.
- Add half of the milk, beat until just blender.
- Add the flour mixture in two batches, beat until just blended and scraping the bowl as needed.
- Add remaining milk and mix until just blended.
- Add caraway seeds and stir in with a rubber spatula.
- Transfer to loaf pan and smooth top.
- Bake until tester comes out clean in the middle of the loaf- abou 60-65 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, remove cake from pan and cool completely on a rack.
- Cake will keep 3 days at room temperature if wrapped well.
- Cut with a serrated knife in thick slices- cake is tender.