1/1 Photo of Mean Chef's Espresso Flan
1 hr 15 mins
I adopted this recipe in 09-06, which was originally posted by Mean Chef. — Adapted from Michael Chiarello
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 pinch grey salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 6 tablespoons hot brewed espresso
- 1In a large bowl, whisk together egg and egg yolks.
- 2While whisking add the sugar slowly until fully dissolved.
- 3Add vanilla, heavy cream, milk, and salt and continue to whisk.
- 4In order to get rid of air bubbles in mixture, transfer to large bowl through a fine strainer.
- 5In the bottom of 6 (1/2 cup) ramekins (small ceramic custard cups), place about 1 1/2 teaspoons of caramel.
- 6When all 6 ramekins have caramel at the bottom, brush each bottom and side with melted butter to secure flan and yet allow it to be removed easily.
- 7Fill each ramekin with the flan mixture, SLOWLY to avoid air bubbles, until about 2/3 full.
- 8Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 9Place almost full ramekins in shallow baking pan and then fill the pan with boiling water.
- 10The hot water bath will allow the flan cups to cook evenly in the oven.
- 11Right before placing pan in oven, top each ramekin with a tablespoon of hot espresso.
- 12Bake for 40 minutes.
- 13When removing pan from oven, allow the ramekins to remain cooling in their original water bath.
- 14Ramekins can be covered and refrigerated overnight if necessary.
- 15Before serving, place ramekins in another shallow pan of warm water to loosen the custard.
- 16Run a thin knife around the inside edge of cup to further loosen, place a plate on top of ramekin and flip onto plate to serve.
- 17For the Caramel: In preheated saucepan over medium heat, pour in water and bring to boil.
- 18Add sugar and stir until caramel brown (about 4 minutes).
- 19Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Chef's Espresso Flan
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 669.0
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 351.8 mg
- Sodium 233.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 69.2 g
- Protein 8.5 g