I adopted this recipe after its original poster, Mean Chef (IHHDRO), departed the site. Mean posted it on Feb 12, 2003, and had these comments: "These cookies are fabulous. A double dose of chocolate. Make sure you don't overbake them. You could substitute walnuts for the pecans."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 11 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (about 2 cups)
- 1 3/4 cups chopped pecans
- 1Position 1 rack in the top 1/3 and another in the bottom 1/3 of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- 2Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 3Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- 4Melt the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over hot, simmering water.
- 5Remove from the heat but keep the chocolate mixture over a bowl of hot water to ensure that the mixture does not set.
- 6In a small bowl, combine the vanilla extract and the espresso powder and whisk until the espresso powder is dissolved.
- 7Stir the espresso mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- 8Combine the eggs and both sugars in the bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer (you can double the recipe and it will fit a 5 or 6 qt mixer bowl).
- 9Set the bowl over a pan of hot, hot simmering water.
- 10Stir with a hand-held wire whisk until warm to the touch.
- 11Attach the bowl to the mixer stand.
- 12Using the wire whip attachment, whip the mixture on high speed until pale, thickened and cool, about 5 minutes.
- 13Fold into the warm chocolate mixture.
- 14Fold in the flour.
- 15Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans.
- 16Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the 2 prepared pans leaving about 1 to 1/2 inches between the cookies (at work I make these a lot bigger so that they come out about 5 inches across).
- 17Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cookies are set: switch the positions of the baking sheets halfway through the baking time for even baking.
- 18Cool the cookies on the baking sheets on wire racks for about 3 minutes, then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- 19Repeat with the remaining dough.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Chef's Double Chocolate Chip Cookies With Pecans
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.5
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 86.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 19.4 g
- Protein 2.7 g