This is an adopted recipe originally posted by MeanChef. I haven’t made this yet but I plan to soon.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and cream of tartar together in a medium bowl and with a wire whisk, stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer at medium speed, beat the butter for 30 seconds, or until creamy.
- Add the sugar and continue beating for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is light in texture and color.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well.
- At low speed beat in the flour mixture, in two additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375°F.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out half of dough at a time to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter cut into shapes and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned at edges.
- Cool. Decorate as desired.