1/4 Photos of Mean Chef's Banana Nut Bread
1 hr 30 mins
I adopted this recipe after its original poster, Mean Chef (IHHDRO), departed the site. Mean posted it on Jun 25, 2003. His comments: "from Nancy Silverton's 'Pastries from La Brea Bakery.' "
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup walnuts (2 1/2 ounces)
- 2/3 cup pecans (2 1/2 ounces)
- 3 -4 bananas, very ripe, mashed to equal 1 1/4 cups, plus
- 1 whole banana (to garnish)
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (scant)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar, extra for sprinkling
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1Lightly coat a six cup capacity loaf pan, with melted butter.
- 2Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 3Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- 4Shake the pan halfway through to ensure that the nuts toast evenly.
- 5Cool, chop coarsely; set aside.
- 6Turn the oven up to 350°F.
- 7In a medium bowl, whisk the banana puree, eggs, and vanilla extract to combine.
- 8In the bowl, of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, attachment, cream the butter, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and poppy seeds on low, 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- 9Add the sugars and turn the mixer up to medium, mixing another 3 to 4 minutes until fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- 10Add the flour and banana mixture alternately in three batches, beginning with the flour, mixing until just combined.
- 11Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the nuts.
- 12Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan to just below the rim.
- 13Cut two 1/4 inch thick strips from the remaining banana, slicing down the entire length.
- 14Arrange the two C-shapes on top of the loaf, staggered, with the two ends slightly interlocking with each other in the center.
- 15Sprinkle about one teaspoons of granulated sugar over the surface.
- 16Bake for 50-60 minutes until nicely browned and firm to the touch.
- 17Do not slice bananas for the top too thickly or they will sink.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Chef's Banana Nut Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3899.9
- Calories from Fat 1933
- Total Fat 214.8 g
- Saturated Fat 72.8 g
- Cholesterol 734.5 mg
- Sodium 3647.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 464.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.2 g
- Sugars 250.4 g
- Protein 60.4 g