I adopted this recipe after its original poster, Mean Chef, departed the site. Mean posted it on Dec 11, 2003. His comments: "A great individual dessert. Easy to prepare."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Streusel yields 3 cups
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and frozen
- 8 granny smith apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes, about 4 cups (2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Rustic pie dough
- 1For the Streusel: In a food processor fitted with a steel blade or by hand with pastry cutter, combine ingredients into a coarse meal- Set aside.
- 2To prepare dough: In a food processor fitted with the steel blade or by hand with a pastry cutter, combine ingredients in a bowl until mixture just comes together.
- 3Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 4Gather into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 2 hours.
- 5To assemble tarts: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 6Lightly dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour.
- 7Roll chilled dough to about 1/8-inch thickness; cut into eight 5-inch circles.
- 8Gather scraps together and reroll dough if necessary.
- 9Spoon 1 tablespoon applesauce onto each circle.
- 10Mound 1/3 cup apples over applesauce.
- 11Taking opposite sides of the dough of each pie, gently stretch each side up and over the filling, pressing dough together at the center.
- 12Continue to work around the pie, repeating this process with other sections, ensuring that dough will not unfold and open during the baking process.
- 13Preheat oven to 375*F.
- 14Place pies at least 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- 15Mound 1/3 cup streusel on top of each pie.
- 16Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- 17Rustic Tarts should be served warm.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Chef's Apple Rustic Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 781.1
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.7 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 9.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 45.9 g
- Protein 5.7 g