I adopted this recipe after its original poster, Mean Chef, departed the site. Mean posted it on Dec 11, 2003. His comments: "A great individual dessert. Easy to prepare."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Streusel yields 3 cups
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and frozen
- 8 granny smith apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes, about 4 cups (2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Rustic pie dough
- 1For the Streusel: In a food processor fitted with a steel blade or by hand with pastry cutter, combine ingredients into a coarse meal- Set aside.
- 2To prepare dough: In a food processor fitted with the steel blade or by hand with a pastry cutter, combine ingredients in a bowl until mixture just comes together.
- 3Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 4Gather into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 2 hours.
- 5To assemble tarts: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 6Lightly dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour.
- 7Roll chilled dough to about 1/8-inch thickness; cut into eight 5-inch circles.
- 8Gather scraps together and reroll dough if necessary.
- 9Spoon 1 tablespoon applesauce onto each circle.
- 10Mound 1/3 cup apples over applesauce.
- 11Taking opposite sides of the dough of each pie, gently stretch each side up and over the filling, pressing dough together at the center.
- 12Continue to work around the pie, repeating this process with other sections, ensuring that dough will not unfold and open during the baking process.
- 13Preheat oven to 375*F.
- 14Place pies at least 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- 15Mound 1/3 cup streusel on top of each pie.
- 16Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- 17Rustic Tarts should be served warm.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Chef's Apple Rustic Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 781.1
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.7 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 9.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 45.9 g
- Protein 5.7 g