Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
One of my faves, adopted from Mean Chef
Make and share this Mean Chef's Apple Crisp recipe from Food.com.
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 1⁄2 lbs apples, peeled, quartered, cored, and sliced to yield about 6 cups (about 6 medium, Granny Smith works well)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
FOR THE CRISP TOPPING
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts (pecans recommend)
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To make the filling--In a 9-inch pie pan that's 2 inches deep (or a similar baking pan), toss the apples with the sugar to taste, cinnamon, and flour.
- To make the topping--In a medium bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients with your fingers or a pastry cutter until small pebbly pieces of butter are distributed throughout the mixture.
- Sprinkle the entire mixture over the apples.
- Bake until the topping is golden and the fruit is bubbling and tender, about 1 hour and 15 minute
- for a large crisp and 1 hour for individual crisps.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- You can make individual crisps by dividing the filling and topping among six ramekins or individual gratin dishes.
- Serve with heavy cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.