Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
One of my faves, adopted from Mean Chef
Make and share this Mean Chef's Apple Crisp recipe from Food.com.
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 1⁄2 lbs apples, peeled, quartered, cored, and sliced to yield about 6 cups (about 6 medium, Granny Smith works well)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
FOR THE CRISP TOPPING
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts (pecans recommend)
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To make the filling--In a 9-inch pie pan that's 2 inches deep (or a similar baking pan), toss the apples with the sugar to taste, cinnamon, and flour.
- To make the topping--In a medium bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients with your fingers or a pastry cutter until small pebbly pieces of butter are distributed throughout the mixture.
- Sprinkle the entire mixture over the apples.
- Bake until the topping is golden and the fruit is bubbling and tender, about 1 hour and 15 minute
- for a large crisp and 1 hour for individual crisps.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- You can make individual crisps by dividing the filling and topping among six ramekins or individual gratin dishes.
- Serve with heavy cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.