Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from these sites: http://www.ent.iastate.edu/misc/insectsasfood.html
- 1 cup shrimp (replace shrimp with mealworms)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- Dry Roasting Meal Worms:.
- Mealworms come in a container with either bran or crumpled newspaper. To separate the mealworms from the packing material, place in colander and gently toss. Remove dead mealworms and any other bits of debris. Wash mealworms in colander under cool water. Place on paper towel and pat dry. They are now ready for cooking.
- Place paper towel on cookie sheet. Spread mealworms on paper towel and place in 200-degree oven for one to two hours until they are thoroughly dry and crunchy. They are now dry roasted.
- Butter baking pan. Coarsely chop dry-roasted mealworms and set aside. Carefully heat sugar and butter in saucepan until boiling. Stir over medium heat for seven minutes. Remove from heat and stir in roasted insects. Pour into pan.
- Scramble egg in a saucepan, stirring to break egg into pieces.
- Add water, soy sauce, garlic and onions. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice. Cover; remove from heat and let stand five minutes.
- Stir in meal worms.