1 hr 10 mins
This recipe comes from these sites: http://www.ent.iastate.edu/misc/insectsasfood.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dry Roasting Meal Worms:.
- 2Mealworms come in a container with either bran or crumpled newspaper. To separate the mealworms from the packing material, place in colander and gently toss. Remove dead mealworms and any other bits of debris. Wash mealworms in colander under cool water. Place on paper towel and pat dry. They are now ready for cooking.
- 3Place paper towel on cookie sheet. Spread mealworms on paper towel and place in 200-degree oven for one to two hours until they are thoroughly dry and crunchy. They are now dry roasted.
- 4Butter baking pan. Coarsely chop dry-roasted mealworms and set aside. Carefully heat sugar and butter in saucepan until boiling. Stir over medium heat for seven minutes. Remove from heat and stir in roasted insects. Pour into pan.
- 5Scramble egg in a saucepan, stirring to break egg into pieces.
- 6Add water, soy sauce, garlic and onions. Bring to a boil.
- 7Stir in rice. Cover; remove from heat and let stand five minutes.
- 8Stir in meal worms.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mealworm Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.8
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 332.1 mg
- Sodium 1787.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 34.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: