Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mealie is corn, and this South African soup is easy and filling.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the butter in a pot over moderate heat and saute the onion until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
South Africans would call this "Sweetcorn" or "Corn" Soup. The term Mielie is used predominantly to describe the traditional ground Mielie ( Corn ) used to make the stiff Miieie Meal dish locally known as "Pap" or stiff porridge, staple diet of the majority of South Africans.