Recipe by Okra
Great for those hot summer nights when it's too hot to cook, this is a very versatile recipe. We like it served with crisp breadsticks. Best if made a day or two before serving but can be served after 3 hours of chilling. Amount of salt to use will depend on type of meat used.
Top Review by Gadgetsmidnight
We really liked this dish and will be sure to make it again this summer. I did make some substitutions. I am not fond of raw green pepper so I substituted red pepper. I also omitted the raw onion. (personal preference, I only eat cooked onion) After everything was mixed I noticed it lacked the color of the green from the green pepper and added some peas. Each family member got to taste test and felt like something was missing. We ended up adding some parmesan cheese like a previous reviewer mentioned. That added another depth of flavor. Thank you for posting this recipe Okra. Made for PAC Spring 2012.
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage or 1⁄2 lb sliced pepperoni
- 1⁄2 cup pimento stuffed olive, sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hickory smoke salt (optional) or 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cubed American cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni, drain well. Combine macaroni, celery, green pepper, meat, olives and onion in large bowl.
- In separate small bowl, blend together mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and dill weed. Add to macaroni mix and toss lightly. Cover and chill at least 3 hours. Just before serving, add tomatoes and cheese, tossing lightly.