Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Simple and good.
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 lb hamburger meat
- salt and pepper
- 3 medium potatoes, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes or 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- Brown celery and onions in shortening.
- Add hamburger meat and brown.
- Grease 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and put layer of potatoes, carrots and add rice.
- Top with meat mixture and tomatoes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
I am only giving this recipe 3 stars for a few reasons. I would probably only give it 2 stars, but DH really liked this dish, which means I will probably make it again when in a crunch. Also, the potatoes didnt fully cook through, and the meat got pretty black on the top, and was crispy. I think that the casserole being covered while cooking would help this alot. It also didnt have a whole lot of flavor, and I think the next time I make it, I will add some garlic, oregano, and maybe a little bit of mustard powder into the juice. The pictures I took are before I threw it in the oven, although I will be putting some of the final product on here as well. Thanks!
Very good casserole that is pure comfort food! Next time I may add some garlic and/or use V-8 juice (instead of the tomato juice I used this time). Thanks for sharing!