Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This sandwich originally came from a resaurant in Bellevue, Wa called "Benjamins's" which eventually quit serving it. Probably too much work, but not if you do it the way I described.
- wheatberry sandwich bread (or your favorite)
- cooked bacon, slices (or substitute favorite grilled veggie slices for meatless)
- tomatoes, slices
- red onions or white sweet onion, sliced,separated into rings
- avocado, slices
- grated cheddar cheese (we prefer sharp)
- spicy mixed sprouts (best) or shredded lettuce
- fresh ground black pepper
- This is for a terrific serve it yourself meal.
- I cook bacon and/or grill veggies and wrap in foil.
- Then prepare all fresh, raw veggies and grated cheese.
- To keep avocado slices fresh, sprinkle lightly with lemon juice in a plastic bowl and shake gently; then refrigerate till serving time.
- Toast the bread and let everyone pile on their favorites.
- I use all of them.
- For two, you can prepare the entire sandwiches yourself and serve with a nice dill pickle and your favorite potato dish or corn on the cob.
- I do all ahead and then just place bacon and/or veggies in on low heat to warm before assembling sandwiches.
- To minimize grease, layer bacon in white paper towels, then roll together and wrap in foil.
- As long as you don't turn the heat too high, the paper is fine in the oven or just remove foil and nuke.