Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
There's a little bit of everything in this easy soup. It'll definitely fill you up!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into small chunks
- 10 cm leeks, thinly sliced
- 25 g butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 100 g penne or 100 g other chunky pasta
- 1 (400 g) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted and heated up, stir in the onion and cook for five minutes.
- Add the carrot, cook for another five minutes, then add the leek.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir, and leave for another five minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Stir into the vegetables and allow it to change from pink to white in colour.
- At the same time, dissolve the stock cubes in 750ml boiling water.
- Add the pasta and stock to the pan.
- Increase the heat and bring the liquid to a boil.
- As soon as the water boils, turn down the heat until the soup is just simmering.
- Partially cover the pan and cook for about 12 minutes or until the pasta is done.
- Add in the beans and parsley and cook just until the soup is unified and the beans are heated through.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Serve immediately.
- This soup reheats fine but the pasta soaks up an amazing amount of liquid so you will have to add more water or broth to thin it out again.