Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A quick and easy casserole that my mom used to make when I was small. Now my kids think its great!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 large potatoes, sliced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (I prefer Campbell's)
- in a saucepan, brown the ground beef.
- add finely chopped onion, mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook until onions are transparent place 3/4 of the mixture in a casarole dish.
- add the frozen peas and a layer of sliced potatoes.
- spread 1/4 of the mushroom soup over top of the sliced potatoes.
- add the remaining 1/4 of the beef mixture.
- add another layer of sliced potatoes and cover with the remaining mushroom soup.
- preheat oven to 350, bake for 45 minutes uncovered, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
you were right on with the kid friendly comment. my toddler scarfed dinner up like nobody's business. the only problem i had was getting the top layer of potatoes tender. i ended up having to bake it 65 minutes and then in desperation i threw it in the microwave for another 10. i think it was the "uncovered" part... and i have a high end stove too. weird. all in all... awesome recipe. two thumbs up from mom, dad and baby.
The flavor of the dish was very good. The preparation was a bit difficult because the mushroom soup was too thick to spread evenly. Next time, I will dilute the soup with a little bit of milk before spreading. It was very simple and easy to make!
This was a quick easy recipe and very tasty! I left out the mushrooms and added shredded cheese in between the layers. Instead of reg. pepper I used a six pepper blend instead to add a little spice. My husband and I loved it. Thanks!