This is a great alternative to the traditional taco salad. It truly is a whole meal salad; just add hot, crusty rolls and maybe some white wine and a light desssert for a great luncheon or supper. It goes together quickly, just be sure to have the ingredients chilled. This recipe was given to me by a Hispanic teacher at our school so I tend to think of it as "authentic".
- 1⁄2 head lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1⁄2 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced and drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup corn chips (or more, to taste)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mashed avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped green chili pepper, to taste
- To make the Salad: Have all ingredients chilled. Break the lettuce into a serving bowl. Add other ingredients except cheese. Toss lightly with Avocado Dressing. Top with grated cheese.
- To make the Avocado Dressing: Put all ingredients in the blender and blend well.