2 hrs 45 mins
The name speaks for itself, this is awesome! We use this for spaghetti, lasagna, ravioli, etc. This recipe came from "Meagan", a friend to many on an old recipe board, and is posted word-for-word by the originator! Once posted, this recipe became an instant hit! A big applause, and thanks to the originator, Meagan!! :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 -10 large mushrooms, sliced as thinly as possible
- 1 -2 clove garlic (depends on how garlicky you like it, I love garlic so I use a lot)
- 1 bottle red wine (good wine or cooking wine, the better the wine, the better the sauce)
- 2 tablespoons Italian spices (or if you have fresh Italian herbs on hand,use them to your taste, but it does turn out much better)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (28 ounce) cans peeled crushed tomatoes (you can also use fresh tomatoes, but this makes the sauce really watery)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup romano cheese (not totally necessary, but the Parmesan is REALLY good)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sugar (helps cut the acidity)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I've never really measured on a lot of the stuff, but it sounds about right.)
- 1In a skillet over medium high heat, sauté the mushrooms until thoroughly cooked, add the garlic, Italian seasonings, and half the bottle of wine.
- 2Simmer until the wine has reduced by about half.
- 3In a large pot, brown the sausage and hamburger together.
- 4If you bought the sausage in links, remove it from the casings before cooking.
- 5A little extra effort, and a bit messy, but it's worth it.
- 7After the meat is cooked, add all the tomato products, making sure that the tomato paste is thoroughly blended throughout.
- 8When the mushrooms and wine have reduced enough, add them to the tomato-meat sauce.
- 9Add the cheese, making sure to sprinkle it over the top or else it will clump up.
- 10Sprinkle the sugar and salt over the top, stir well.
- 11Simmer until you're ready to eat, stirring occasionally.
- 12It's best when you've had it simmering all day, gives it a chance to reduce the watery liquid.
- 13Serve with a nice big salad, and LOTS OF BREAD for mopping up the sauce.
- 14And of course, lots of extra freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- 15MMMMMM,mmmmmm good!
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for MEAGAN'S PASKETTI SAUCE (Ummy Nummy Super Meaty Pasketti Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (858 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 972.2
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 99.6 mg
- Sodium 2553.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 40.9 g