Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I think I got this from a compilation cookbook put out by the Westhampton Garden Club. The Meadow Club is in Southampton, NY. I guessed the time so don't hold me to it!
- 1 quart clam juice
- 1 quart clam, minced
- 1 lb potato, diced small
- 1⁄2 lb onion, diced
- 2 ounces flour
- 1⁄2 quart milk
- 1⁄2 quart half-and-half
- white pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- In a large heavy pot, saute the onions in butter until transparent.
- Add flour and blend; cook for 4-5 minutes but do not brown.
- Add clams and clam juice. Cook and stir until smooth and comes to a boil.
- Cook potatoes in a different pot until done.
- Drain potatoes and add to clam mixture.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce and blend.
Basic and great! Thanks for posting
I made this wonderful chowder for dinner. I did add a can of corn and a shreaded carrot to it. A little poultry seasoning and some garlic. It was fantastic.
This is a great clam chowder for the clam chowder "purists." It's got great flavor even though there's no celery, carrots, etc that are in some recipes. The best part is that it's chock full of clams.....just how I like it! I halved the recipe, but now wish I would have made the whole thing. I liked subtle taste of the worcestershire sauce. Since the recipe doesn't indicate an amount to use, I chose approx 2 tsps (keep in mind that I halved the recipe). I'm making this again. Thanx for sharing!