Recipe by moonjewell
**Creamy potato dish with cabbage and ham that's low fat and low calories too!** I love Colcannon....well anything potato actually.... but am watching the weight so I put this together along with some left-over pre cooked old fashioned smoked ham. We love it! Hope you do too. :)
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 4 tablespoons 4% low-fat cheese
- 1 cup diced ham
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- salt & pepper
- paprika (if you dare) or cayenne pepper (if you dare)
- cooking spray (I use the olive oil one)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes . Partially boil cabbage at the same time as potatoes, in separate pot.
- Mash potatoes adding milk, cheese, onion, salt and pepper. Mix in a large bowl with ham and half cooked chopped cabbage.
- If you prefer it not quite so creamy just use 1/4 cup of skim milk.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and lightly line with a few cooked cabbage leaves. Plop in mixture, sprinkle with paprika or cayenne and cover.
- Warm in 200-250 degree oven for approximately 1 hour or more. If you keep it in longer, keep your eye out that it doesn`t burn or get dry.I`ve had mine in for two hours and it was fine.
- Just before you`re ready to pop it out of the oven, turn on the broiler, take off the lid and give it a wee bit of browning on top.
- This can also be done on the stove top fried in some butter or this way with the left-overs -- yumm -- but beware of the added fat and calories!
- 1 cup = 129 calories and 1.6 grams of fat.