Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My stepmother is a North Lebanon native, and her version of this is a secret, but this recipe is just as good. It's nice and hearty, and good for toddlers and babies. Pureed, it's called Mjaddara, and the onions are still tender, and mixed in. From the Sahtain cookbook.
- Soak rice in hot water (not the 5 cups above--separate water) for 15 minutes, drain.
- Stir fry onions in oil until golden brown, set aside to crisp and drain.
- In the same pot, reserve 1 tbsp of the oil add water and lentils, and boil until lentils are tender, but still a little firm.
- Add the rice, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil again.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the water is absorbed.
- Serve hot or cold.