Recipe by Um Safia
Mchicha is a very traditional dish in Tanzania & can be made like this with peanut butter - homemade or natural is best - or it can be made with a whole coconut (grated flesh & milk) instead. Posted for ZWT 4.
- 2 lbs spinach
- 1 1⁄2 ounces peanut butter
- 1 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (or paste, your favourite blend!)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the spinach & roughly chop. De-skin the tomato, peel and chop. Peel and chop the onion.
- Mix the peanut butter with the coconut milk in a jug & set aside.
- Heat the ghee . butter over a medium heat in a large frying pan. Add the onion, tomato, salt and curry powder / paste and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion becomes soft.
- Add the spinach, continue cooking for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the spinach is cooked.
- Pour the peanut butter and coconut milk mixture into the pan & stir gently to mix.
- Simmer, for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly, to ensure that the mixture does not stick to the pot.
- This dish makes a lovely side dish, & can also be eaten with rice, ugali or samp and beans to form a delicious main course.