1/1 Photo of Mchicha - Tanzanian Spinach & Peanut Curry.
Um Safia's Note:
Mchicha is a very traditional dish in Tanzania & can be made like this with peanut butter - homemade or natural is best - or it can be made with a whole coconut (grated flesh & milk) instead. Posted for ZWT 4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the spinach & roughly chop. De-skin the tomato, peel and chop. Peel and chop the onion.
- 2Mix the peanut butter with the coconut milk in a jug & set aside.
- 3Heat the ghee . butter over a medium heat in a large frying pan. Add the onion, tomato, salt and curry powder / paste and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion becomes soft.
- 4Add the spinach, continue cooking for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the spinach is cooked.
- 5Pour the peanut butter and coconut milk mixture into the pan & stir gently to mix.
- 6Simmer, for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly, to ensure that the mixture does not stick to the pot.
- 7This dish makes a lovely side dish, & can also be eaten with rice, ugali or samp and beans to form a delicious main course.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mchicha - Tanzanian Spinach & Peanut Curry.
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.2
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 24.5 mg
- Sodium 849.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 11.8 g