Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World.
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, washed and trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chili pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, ground
- Place spinach and salt in a heavy 4-5 quart casserole.
- Cover tightly and cook over medium heat until spinach is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain spinach, squeezing it completely dry a handful at a time.
- Chop coarsely and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat.
- Add onions and chilies and cook, stirring frequently, until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and peanuts and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
- Reduce heat to its lowest point.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until heated through, 4-5 minutes more.
This was one of the sides for our delish Menu #66720. I sauteed the onions and chili in Niter Kibbeh--Ethiopian Spiced Clarified Butter
for the butter kicking it up a little more. Then added the fresh picked chopped spinach right to the cooked onions. Let it wilt then added the milk and nuts. No salt needed. Scooped it up with Injera. A nice healthy spicy side. Thanks. Made for ZWT 2011.
Great easy and tasty dish! We roasted the peanuts ourself as they taste better in this way.
A new way for me to prepare spinach or chard or any greens from the garden.
Thanks a lot. Done for ZWT7