1 hr 30 mins
A dark, moist, traditional bread using fresh persimmon pulp. I use this most as a family treat and as giveaways to neighbors, teachers, unexpected relatives, etc. The key is to not overcook and to refrigerate or freeze right away to preserve freshness. A short video demonstration made to make this recipe can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POrDNw9jK34. This was made by one of our lovely daughters in a high school film class.
My Private Note
loaf pa ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (real vanilla preferred)
- 2 cups persimmon pulp (peeled and mashed ripe persimmons)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon with some nutmeg and cloves)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (toasted nuts taste best)
- 1Preheat Oven to 325°F.
- 2Pans: Grease or spray with non-stick spray (non-stick with flour oil okay).
- 3Yield: Two nine-inch loaf pans or approximately six small loaf pans (for gift giving!).
- 4In mixer or large bowl, mix together very well the sugar, eggs and vegetable oil.
- 5Add vanilla and persimmon pulp, stir well.
- 6In a separate small bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Slowly add to wet mixture and stir until blended. Do not over stir.
- 7Fold in walnuts.
- 8Mix persimmon pulp and baking soda in a small bowl. Add to sugar mixture; mix well.
- 9Pour evenly into prepared pans (approximately 2/3 full). Sprinkle with chopped walnuts for garnish if desired.
- 10Bake for 55-65 minutes for large pans (check often and adjust time for your oven as mine cooks fast), or until the top of the loaf is firm and no uncooked batter can be seen. Start checking small pans at 30-35 minutes.
- 11Cool on a wire rack. Loafs may fall a bit but this is normal. Wrap in plastic wrap and then foil to keep moist and refrigerate or freeze if not serving right away.
- 12Can be deliciously served warm with whipped cream or butter or drizzed with a powdered sugar glaze.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mcfadden Ranch Persimmon Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2770.0
- Calories from Fat 1428
- Total Fat 158.7 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 372.0 mg
- Sodium 2570.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 303.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 152.7 g
- Protein 40.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: