Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
A dark, moist, traditional bread using fresh persimmon pulp. I use this most as a family treat and as giveaways to neighbors, teachers, unexpected relatives, etc. The key is to not overcook and to refrigerate or freeze right away to preserve freshness. A short video demonstration made to make this recipe can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POrDNw9jK34. This was made by one of our lovely daughters in a high school film class.
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (real vanilla preferred)
- 2 cups persimmon pulp (peeled and mashed ripe persimmons)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon with some nutmeg and cloves)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (toasted nuts taste best)
- no nuts
- 1 cup raisins, using plump variety of various colors best (optional)
- macadamia nuts (optional) or pecans, instead walnut (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 325°F.
- Pans: Grease or spray with non-stick spray (non-stick with flour oil okay).
- Yield: Two nine-inch loaf pans or approximately six small loaf pans (for gift giving!).
- In mixer or large bowl, mix together very well the sugar, eggs and vegetable oil.
- Add vanilla and persimmon pulp, stir well.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Slowly add to wet mixture and stir until blended. Do not over stir.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Mix persimmon pulp and baking soda in a small bowl. Add to sugar mixture; mix well.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans (approximately 2/3 full). Sprinkle with chopped walnuts for garnish if desired.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes for large pans (check often and adjust time for your oven as mine cooks fast), or until the top of the loaf is firm and no uncooked batter can be seen. Start checking small pans at 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Loafs may fall a bit but this is normal. Wrap in plastic wrap and then foil to keep moist and refrigerate or freeze if not serving right away.
- Can be deliciously served warm with whipped cream or butter or drizzed with a powdered sugar glaze.