Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another family recipe that is easy to make. It's a great dish that goes well with mashed potatoes and vegetables. It is made in a tomato / mushroom sauce. You can optionally add button mushrooms.
- 2 lbs cube steaks (4 steaks, 1/2 lbs each)
- 2 teaspoons meat tenderizer
- 2 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- black pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can button mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) jar mushroom gravy, Heinz Home Style Rich Mushroom Gravy
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place cubed steak in a 13" x 9" x 2" non-stick baking pan, or similar.
- Sprinkle each cubed steak with 1/2 tsp meat tenderizer, 1/2 tsp lawry's seasoned salt, and 1/4 tsp, onion powder.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Drain the can of button mushrooms and place mushrooms over steak. (Optional).
- In a small mixing bowl, blend together water, mushroom gravy and tomato sauce.
- Pour gravy mixture over entire steaks.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn steaks over. If you believe you may need more gravy, add 1/2 cup more water.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Really great flavor, although WAY too salty as written. Used fresh mushrooms & Heinz Savory Beef Gravy (they did not have the mushroom one). This makes a lot of gravy, so be sure to make some mashed potatoes to soak it up. Brings back childhood memories, thanks for posting!
we really like this recipe. I have made it now a few times. Also something easy to do, nothing to it.