Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this on the box of McCormick's Pure Peppermint Extract and decided to try it. I'm usually not a fan of Peppermint Bark because the balance of chocolate and peppermint always seems uneven. That being said, this recipe has a great balance to it and even looks great once finished. My boyfriend loved it so much he pleaded with me not to serve it at our dinner party so he could save it all for himself! ;) My only concern with this recipe is that the bark can get stuck if there are too many wrinkles in the foil. I wonder if this could be fixed with wax paper? Let me know what works for you!
- 10 -12 ounces white chocolate baking squares
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 8 -10 drops red food coloring
- 3 ounces peppermint candies (optional)
- Line large baking sheet with foil. In saucepan, melt baking pieces.
- Place unwrapped peppermint candies in a ziploc (you may need to reinforce it with another ziploc) and hammer the pieces until thoroughly crushed.
- When the chocolate is nearly melted, remove from heat; mix in Extract. Gently stir until smooth.
- Spread chocolate mixture on baking sheet, smoothing with metal spatula to 1/4 inch thick.
- Add food color, drop by drop, over melted baking pieces. Using a wooden skewer, swirl color through.
- Sprinkle with crushed candies, press in with spatula.
- Chill until set, about 10 minutes.
- Break into pieces. Store, covered. Refrigerate up to 5 days.
Easy and fast. Didn't use the food coloring, would try peppermint oil instead of extract next time as the chocolate seized up a bit when I put in the extract. Covered with crushed candy canes to hide the lumpiness. I doubt anyone will know it was lumpy but me. I hope not, as I really don't want to throw away all of that white chocolate.
very good, I added crushed candy canes to the recipe along with the extract. Placed wax paper on cookie sheet and poured mixture onto it to cool, no problem peeling off!
Thanks for posting this! I was just looking for something easy and fun to try -- this is it! My husband is a peppermint freak -- and he loved this! Made exactly as noted and was so pleased withe the end result! Recommend for that easy late night snack when you want something sweet - and especially at the holidays!