Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
couldn't find any meatloaf seasoning packet-type recipes on here (cuz i don't like to buy them) for more flavor. found this little gem on petitchef.com
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Combine dry spices and seal in ziploc or vacuum seal bag (or jar).
- MEATLOAF DIRECTIONS:1 package Meat Loaf Seasoning Mix, 2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 2 slices bread, finely crumbled or 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs, 1/2 cup ketchup.
- Mix Seasoning Mix, ground beef or turkey, eggs, milk and bread crumbs in large bowl (Ialso add the ketchup in this step). Shape into a loaf. Place loaf in a shallow baking pan or 9x5-inch loaf pan. Spread ketchup over top of loaf.
- Bake in preheated 375F oven 1 hour or until cooked through. Makes 10 servings, approx 3oz each.
Really nothing like the package mix. Needed more taste for us. If I do it again, I'll up the spices and add garlic, etc.
I thought it was great! My mother thought it had too much thyme, but i disagree. To each there own taste buds and preferences. My family loved it other than that. If you like lightly seasoned food i would put half of everything and it will still come out Great!
As with most recipes, you try it once then find out what you could do differently, if anything. I found that there was enough salt, but I didn't have dried thyme, so I used ground thyme and cut the amount in half. If you don't do this it is way over powering. Also I used dried basil but only used 1tsp. I also added 1 tsp of all spice. It gives it a really nice flavour. I also substituted the ketchup for bbq sauce on top. Fantastic! My family loves this recipe. If you like spicy....add 1/2tsp of cayenne pepper. Still lots of flavour and some bite!