1/3 Photos of Mccann's Oat Brown Bread
From the New Celtic Cookbook by Kathleen Sloan-McIntosh and Ken McIntosh. The steel-cut oats in this recipe are packed with nutrition and a wonderful nuttiness that helps make this delicious bread so good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Lightly dust the surface of a baking sheet with flour.
- 3Stir together the flours, oats, sugar and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- 4Using your fingertips, quickly rub in the butter.
- 5Make a well in the centre and gradually stir in the buttermilk with a wooden spoon until the dough is soft and manageable.
- 6(You might not use all the buttermilk.).
- 7Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 1 minute.
- 8Divide in half.
- 9Shape the dough into two balls and place in the centre of the baking sheet.
- 10Use the palm of your hand to flatten the dough into disks about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- 11Use a sharp knife to cut a fairly deep cross into each disk so that it will break apart easily into quarters after baking.
- 12Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until browned and the tester emerges clean and the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- 13Cool slightly on a rack before serving warm.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mccann's Oat Brown Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1623.9
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 70.8 mg
- Sodium 2003.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 281.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.6 g
- Sugars 38.0 g
- Protein 52.9 g