Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Turkey salad with pineapple, almonds and radish roses. Yum.... Very special and a taste treat. This recipe makes a lot so it's perfect for a summer gathering. And much of the work can be done ahead -- another plus! Posted for those with McCall's cooking school nostalgia! By the way, this way of cooking turkey breast, as described in step 1, makes delicious moist meat to use in a variety of recipes.
Top Review by Quiltress
I have looked all over for my copy of this recipe. This is the best salad, however I do make it with chicken breasts. Thank you for posting this recipe, it is my go to for teas or showers.
- 6 lbs turkey breast
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 2 onions
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, cut up
- 4 medium carrots, pared
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch radish
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks in juice, drained
- crisp lettuce or watercress
- 1⁄2 cup blanched whole almond
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon onion juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon (or 2-1/2 teaspoons dried)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wipe turkey with damp paper towels.
- In an 8-quart kettle, combine broth, water, onions (each stuck with 4 whole cloves), celery, carrots, salt, peppercorns and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and add turkey breast. Bring back to boiling; reduce heat and simmer gently, covered, for about 2-1/2 hours or until turkey is tender. Remove from heat. Let stand, frequently spooning broth over turkey for 1-1/2 hours, or until cool enough to handle. Or you may refrigerate overnight, covered. Lift out turkey. Reserve broth for another use.
- Remove the skin from the turkey breast. With a sharp knife, remove the breast meat in slices 1/2-inch thick. To make the dressing, in a large bowl combine oil, lemon juice, onion juice, tarragon, scallions, parsley, salt and pepper; stir to blend. Slice celery thinly on the diagonal to measure 4 cups; chill.
- Cut sliced turkey into 1/2 to 3/4-inch pieces -- you should have about 8 cups. Add to dressing in large bowl. Toss lightly to coat well. Refrigerate, covered, until serving time, at least 1 hour or longer.
- Make radish roses and refrigerate in ice water to open "petals" -- at least an hour.
- Toss turkey salad with mayonnaise and light cream; chill. Add drained pineapple and mix well.
- To serve: Spoon salad on a chilled platter lined with lettuce leaves. Garnish with watercress, radish roses and toasted almonds. (To toast almonds, in shallow pan bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden.).