Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from the McCall's 1973 Great American Recipe Card collection. The original calls for whole milk and 1/4 c. of butter.
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees f.
- Cook macaroni as package directs, drain.
- While cooking macaroni, melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat and whisk in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cup cheese and the cooked macaroni.
- Spray a 1 1/2 quart shallow casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour in macaroni and cheese.
- Arrange tomato slices over top. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Sprinkle parsley on cheese.
- Bake about 15 minutes uncovered until cheese is golden brown.
What a great recipe WindLass, it was easy to follow, great instructions, quick and easy to make, with terrific results. The cheese sauce was rich, thick, creamy and smooth. Loved the addition of the tomatoes. They were delicious in this dish. Thanks for sharing, we will be enjoying this again. Made for Fall Pac/12