Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
the original is from the McDougall newsletter from Dr. McDougalls diet. The recipe is from Alex Bury, McDougall Program cooking instructor
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup rice milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄4 cup currants or 1⁄4 cup chopped dried apricot
- 8 ounces crushed whole grain cereal, see note
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice or 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all the oatmeal ingredients then simmer on low until done, about 6 minutes then pour into a casserole dish and top with cereal. Cover and refrigerate until morning.
- Bake at 350F until the cereal is just starting to turn brown, approx 15 minutes.
- Make the sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender until smooth. Serve heated or unheated over the hot oatmeal casserole.
- Note: 8 ounces whole grain cereal in the original recipe read: 1/2 box of your favorite oil-free, healthy, whole-grain cereal, crushed.