Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
the original is from the McDougall newsletter from Dr. McDougalls diet. The recipe is from Alex Bury, McDougall Program cooking instructor
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup rice milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄4 cup currants or 1⁄4 cup chopped dried apricot
- 8 ounces crushed whole grain cereal, see note
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice or 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all the oatmeal ingredients then simmer on low until done, about 6 minutes then pour into a casserole dish and top with cereal. Cover and refrigerate until morning.
- Bake at 350F until the cereal is just starting to turn brown, approx 15 minutes.
- Make the sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender until smooth. Serve heated or unheated over the hot oatmeal casserole.
- Note: 8 ounces whole grain cereal in the original recipe read: 1/2 box of your favorite oil-free, healthy, whole-grain cereal, crushed.