1/2 Photos of Mc Donald's Classic French Fries (Copycat)
2 hrs 25 mins
2 hrs 18 mins
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for retro McDonald's french fries is timely and tedious, so if you can tough it, carry on! This is authentic to the original beef tallow fried potatoes until 1990, when tallow was switched out for shortening. Today, a shortening/vegetable oil blend is used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium peeled shoestring-cut russet potatoes
- 8 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon citric acid or 2 tablespoons white vinegar
DEEP-FRYING FAT (VEGETABLE OIL SHORTENING BLEND MAY BE USED)
- 100% grass-fed beef tallow
- fine flake sea salt
- 1MIX the BRINE in a 3 quart pot with an accompanying lid.
- 2PEEL 4 medium russet potatoes; CUT potatoes into 1/4" shoestrings (try to make them as uniform as possible; I use an adjustable-blade French-fry cutter).
- 3PLACE cut potatoes into the brine container; SEAL and refrigerate for at least 2 hours; BRING pot with brine and potatoes to a full boil; BOIL for 1 1/2-2 minutes; DRAIN and rinse potatoes under cold water; BLOT potatoes as dry as possible.
- 4PLACE potatoes side-by-side into freezer bags without touching, and without crowding; SEAL bags and freeze flat in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (just make sure fries are frozen solid).
- 5FILL deep-fryer with proper amount of beef tallow (or oil/shortening blend), to manufacturer's recommended amount; HEAT fryer in gradual increments to 375°F.
- 6PLACE 1/2 of the potatoes at a time into elevated deep-frying basket; GENTLY lower basket into hot fat.
- 7FRY for about 2 minutes but PAY ATTENTION TO THE COLOR -- potato color should be light golden brown with just slightly darker ends (see photo, and pull a french fry with tongs to test doneness if necessary); ELEVATE fry basket and shake to drain excess fat; SECURE basket and let drain for 30 seconds.
- 8TRANSFER fries into colander placed in sink; REPEAT with remaining potatoes.
- 9SEASON french fries lightly with fine flake sea salt while tossing (eat immediately, or keep warmed for a limited time in a 170°F oven).
- 10SERVE french fries with your favorite condiment and ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mc Donald's Classic French Fries (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 174.4
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3498.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 4.3 g