1/2 Photos of Mc Donald's Chicken Mc Nuggets (Copycat)
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
The Spice Guru's Note:
My homestyle copycat recipe for McDonald's Chicken McNuggets. PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb frozen boneless chicken tenderloins, thawed
- 1/2 cup pre-sifted all-purpose flour, plus
- 1/3 cup pre-sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt (use Lawry's only)
- 1 tablespoon fine cornflour (or fine masa harina flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon fine black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- vegetable oil (3 parts)
- vegetable shortening (1 part )
- 1THAW chicken breast tenderloins; POUND tenderloins if necessary to 1/3-inch thickness, between sheets of plastic wrap using a flat mallet; CUT chicken into 2-inch x 1 1/4-inch wide various shapes, using kitchen shears; PLACE chicken into prepared BRINE (4 cups cold water, 2 teaspoons fine sea salt); SOAK chicken pieces in brine for 2 hours; BLOT dry.
- 2MEASURE the BREADING ingredients into another medium bowl; PLACE breading bowl into working area.
- 3WHISK the BATTER ingredients together until smooth; PLACE batter bowl into working area (whisk batter often while using to refresh consistency).
- 4COAT a few chicken pieces at a time in the BATTER mixture until evenly battered.
- 5DROP a few pieces of chicken at a time into the BREADING mixture using tongs; TURN chicken gently using tongs in the breading until evenly coated; REMOVE breaded chicken with tongs individually and place onto a breading rack (I use a food-industry grade breading rack). NOTE: YOU MAY DOUBLE-BREAD THESE IF YOU PREFER; SIMPLY REPEAT THE BATTERING AND BREADING STEPS (MAKE SURE YOU'VE ADDED ONE EXTRA TEASPOON POWDERED SUGAR FIRST).
- 6IF FREEZING MCNUGGETS FOR FUTURE FRYING: PLACE rack of breaded chicken loosely wrapped into freezer until frozen; TRANSFER frozen McNuggets to Ziploc bag(s) until needed.
- 7PREHEAT the DEEP-FRYING fat to immerse chicken completely in a deep heavy pot, or manufacturer's recommended amount of fat in deep-fryer; SLOWLY heat oil in gradual increments oil to 350°F until preheated; ADD chicken carefully using tongs, to elevated frying basket (outside of frying oil) without overcrowding.
- 8FRY chicken nuggets until golden-crisp and fully cooked (longer for frozen McNuggets, naturally), depending on chicken portion/size until chicken is no longer pink in the center, and juices run clear (DO NOT OVERCOOK!).
- 9RAISE frying basket when chicken is cooked and allow to drain; PLACE chicken nuggets on absorbent paper NOTE: To keep chicken warm before serving, place chicken on a rack-fitted baking sheet covered with a sheet of foil in preheated 175°F oven.
- 10SERVE with your favorite dipping sauces and/or other condiments and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mc Donald's Chicken Mc Nuggets (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.5
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 159.0 mg
- Sodium 1457.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 33.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt