27 hrs 10 mins
Mazza is a Lebanese restaurant here in Salt Lake that has some of the most amazing food! The hummus is to die for and Mazza's owner was kind enough to share the recipe with the Salt Lake Tribune.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place chickpeas in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and place in the refrigerator. Soak for at least 24 hours or until tender. (You should be able to bite through a pea.)
- 2Drain. Place in a large pot and cover with two to three inches of water. Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer 2 to 3 hours or more until peas are soft and there is about 1 inch of thick broth.
- 5Add boiling water during cooking if water level gets to low. (This cooking process works well in a slow cooker.)
- 6When peas are soft, drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- 7For one batch of hummus place 2 cups softened peas, garlic, lemon juice, and tahini in the bowl of a food processor. Process adding broth a little at a time until well combined and creamy.
- 8Season with salt. Taste, add more salt and/or lemon juice, if necessary.
- 9Scrape into a serving bowl and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil.
- 10If you plan to make the hummus ahead of time, it should be slightly thinner than you want, as it will firm up as it sits.
- 11Place remaining cooked peas in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Cover with some of the cooking broth. Place in the freezer for later use.
- 12Other tips from Mazza's owner: The key is to use the dried beans and soak them. Don't use canned.
- 13Use tahini purchased at a Middle Eastern market. It will probably be fresher than those found at a grocery store.
- 14And one final tip for getting the hummus the "creamy" consistency: start by mixing the drier ingredients first. Then slowly add cooking liquid until it reaches the texture you want.
Browse Our Top Lebanese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lebanese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mazza's Hummus
Serving Size: 1 (580 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1044.7
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 77.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 159.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 45.6 g
- Sugars 27.0 g
- Protein 52.4 g