Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Flat, Polish Easter cake/bar cookies. Vilnius (which has a large Polish population) is the capital of Lithuania. This is the Vilnian version of mazurka. It's filled with chocolate, almonds, and dates, & drizzled with icing. Also called mazurek wielkanocny (Easter mazurka, pronounced mah-ZOO-rek bi-el-ka-NUTS-ny); traditionally mazurek is only served as part of the breakfast feast after Easter Mass.
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 egg whites
- 3 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces powdered cocoa mix
- 8 ounces almonds, ground
- 8 ounces dates, pitted & finely sliced
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum
- To prepare dough: use a knife to cut the butter into the flour, then rub it in with your fingertips.
- Add the powdered sugar, baking powder, egg, egg yolk, and sour cream; mix together.
- Knead with your hands until dough is smooth and can be formed into a compact ball.
- Wrap in waxed paper or place in a covered dish and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 12"x15" cookie sheet with the remaining tablespoon of butter; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of flour, tipping from side to side to cover completely and evenly.
- Turn the sheet upside down and tap on the bottom to shake off any excess flour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4" thin and place on buttered cookie sheet, using fingers to spread dough so it completely covers the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- To prepare filling: beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add sugar a few tablespoons at a time, beating constantly.
- Once all of the sugar has been added, beat for 5 more minutes.
- Fold in the chocolate, almonds, and dates.
- Spread over the dough layer.
- Bake at 350°F until pastry is golden brown (20-25 minutes).
- Allow to cool.
- Mix sugar with rum until smooth; drizzle mixture over mazurka.
- With a lightly buttered knife, cut into squares.