Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a juicy casserole that freezes well. With salad, this casserole can make 3 meals for 2 people.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup chicken or 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) canmild diced green chilies
- 1 (12 ounce) packageshredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 diced chicken breasts or 1 lb hamburger or 1 1⁄2 cups diced ham
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onion, celery, and garlic and saute for 4 minute.
- Add the rice and saute for 2 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes and spices.
- Bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minute.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg.
- Brown meat and drain.
- Add beans and green chilies to meat and heat.
- Add to rice mixture when done and combine.
- Place all ingredients in a 9 x 13 casserole.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cook in oven for 20 minute.
Very good and easy! I used 4 cloves garlic skipped the celery because the DS doesn`t like them. And used beef. Thanks.
Pretty good! Very filling, very tasty too, my family really enjoyed it! I thought it needed some spice, maybe 1/2 teaspoon of cajun seasoning or maybe Loisiana hot sauce to taste. I also added salt and pepper that the recipe didn't call for. Thanks Mary!