Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Sweet and rich, this is a quintessential pastry of Sweden. You can divide the pastry into 8 individual tarts using 1/2 cup size tart pans with removable bottoms.
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 8 ounces almond paste (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Stir together sugar and flour, cut in butter in small pieces and rub with your fingers until evenly mixed, with a fork stir in egg yolk then compress mixture with your hands until it holds together.
- Use the pastry to line a 9" springform pan, pressing dough up sides about 1"
- Break almond paste into small pieces, put in mixer bowl, mix in sugar and flour until combined, add the eggs and egg white one at a time blending smoothly, then mix in the almond extract.
- Pour the filling into your pastry lined pan, bake for 70 minutes (check at 60) or until top is golden brown ,.
- Let cool 5 minutes while you make the glaze.
- Blend powdered sugar smoothly with milk, spread over top of the tart.
- When tart is cool remove the rim and serve. Tart can be store for 2 days in an airtight container or freeze for longer storage.
- Note s.
- For a little less sweetness, you can skip the glaze.
- If making individual tarts bake for 30 minutes until richly browned on top.
This is the recipe I have been searching for ever since our local Scandinavian bakery closed down. The smell while making it is heavenly. A slice when first done is wonderful but after an hour in the refrigerator it is even better. I followed the recipe except for adding a small amount of almond extract to the glaze. Yum