A Peruvian deserrt made from purple corn, taken from about.com and posted for ZWT7 Does not include chilling time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the dried fruit in a heat proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- 2Add the purple corn to a large pot and cover with 10 cups of water.
- 3Chop the pineapple into small bite-size pieces and reserve. Add the pineapple rind to the pot.
- 4Quarter the quince (or substitute a green apple) and add to the pot, along with the cinnamon sticks and the cloves.
- 5Bring water to a boil, and boil uncovered for about 30 minutes, until liquid is a deep purple color and the quince is very soft.
- 6Strain the liquid, and return to pot. Discard the corn, quince, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and pineapple rind.
- 7Separate 1/2 cup of the liquid into a small bowl. Stir the corn starch into the separated liquid until completely mixed and set aside.
- 8Add the sugar, pineapple pieces, and a pinch of salt to the liquid. Peel and dice an apple and add to the mixture.
- 9Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apple is soft.
- 10Whisk the corn starch mixture into the simmering mixture and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes more or until mixture has thickened.
- 11Remove from heat stir in the lime juice. Serve chilled or at room temperature, sprinkled with cinnamon.
Nutritional Facts for Mazamorra Morada
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.0
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 139.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 71.1 g
- Protein 6.1 g