Recipe by lemoncurd
This cake is extremly soft and light i use this recipe as my basic cake recipe,for vanilla leave out cofee and cocoa replace with same amount flour.This cake is best with some sort of icing.
Top Review by qiltkitty
I made this for my fiancees bday. Needless to say, there is NO cake left!! Great tasting, I used mocha cream cheese icing (#63740) to ice it. My only confusion / question came after I sifted all the dry ingredients together and THEN was told to mix the eggs and sugar together. I thought sugar WAS a dry ingredient.
- 5 extra large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons nescafe instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift all the dry ingredients together. Except the sugar.
- Beat eggs and sugar in Kenwood chef till lighty and thick and almost double in volume.
- Add in vanilla essence and give a quick beat (a few seconds).
- fold sifted dry ingredients into egg mixture alternating with the liquid.
- fold with a metal spoon.
- Pour batter into 2 greased 25 cm sandwich tins.
- Bake@ 180 for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool on rack.
- Sandwich and ice with ganache or mocha and cofee butter icing.