Prep 15 mins
Cook 43 mins
Originally found with a sack of apples in the cellar of a home in Sweden, this recipe proved to be quite popular amongst my family for years. The cake which is a cross between an apple pie and an apple cake has a lovely rich texture, tastes great and is very simple to make.
- 200 g butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups plain flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large green apples
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C [180 degrees C fan force] or 390 degree F [355 degree F fan force].
- Melt butter.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and buttermilk in a medium size bowl.
- Add butter to mixture and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a broad pie dish and bake for 8 minutes.
- Peel and slice apples.
- Remove dish from oven and post apple slices into mixture.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and bake for a further 35 minutes.
- Serve with double cream or vanilla ice cream.
This recipe was very simple to make and tastes delicious! I added a teaspoon of nutmeg though to give a bit of kick and served it with vanilla ice cream. My friends insisted on getting their hands on the recipe. Will definitely be making again!