Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe was in my mother-in-law's box of handwritten recipes. I suspect she found it in a magazine ad or got it from a friend. The date could be anywhere from the 1950s to the 1970s. Maypo is a maple-flavored hot cereal popular in the 1960s and 1970s. It's become more difficult to find but worth it for the cookies, if not the cooked cereal.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (dissolved in 1T hot water)
- 1 cup maypo
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 bag butterscotch chips or 1 bag chocolate chips
- Cream 1 cup shortening.
- Beat in: eggs, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Add flour, salt, soda dissolved in 1 T hot water.
- Stir in: Maypo, vanilla, nuts, butterscotch and/or chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 for 12 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet.