Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I have made homemade mayonnaise a few times..but could not find one I liked. I wanted Mayonnaise like you buy..Kraft, Blue Plate, Hellmann's... all the ones I tried tasted a little bit "different"...until now! This is now the only homemade mayonnaise I'll make, and I see no reason to EVER buy mayonnaise again!!! Don't be nervous about raw egg yolks -- the vinegar and lemon juice will kill any bacteria. The ingredients on most mayo's list mustard and paprika.. I don't know what it adds...but I sure don't miss it with this mayonnaise.
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bottled lemon juice
- 2 cups soybean oil (or Canola oil)
- Mix the water, salt, sugar vinegar and lemon juice in a small bowl until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Whisk the 2 egg yolks well (20 seconds or so, or about 10 seconds with an electric whisk -- which I highly recommend for this)** Update - DO NOT USE A BLENDER - it absolutely will not work.
- Add about half of the liquid mixture to the eggs and whisk again (about the same amount of time).
- Now start adding the oil, slowly, while whisking constantly. Drop by drop is not necessary but don't pour it in a few teaspoons at the time either! Keep going until you've put in about 1 cup of oil.
- Now add the remaining half of the liquid mixture and whisk well for about 30 seconds.
- Back to the oil.you can add it faster now, whisking constantly - add it all in and then whisk an additional 30 seconds.
- Put it in a clean container and leave it out at room temperature for about 8 hours so that the vinegar and lemon juice can kill any bacteria that might be in the egg yolks.
- Refrigerate -- keeps for at least 2 weeks.
Had leftover yolks from making fortune cookies- so decided to try my hand at mayonnaise. This was a great recipe- slightly different from Hellmann's, but definitely good. Much better than other mayo recipes I've tried. I used only 3 cups of Canola and a hand mixer to make- turned out great. I had to add a bit of H20, to thin, but otherwise... yummy sandwiches and potato salads for me this week!!! Thanks, LoversDream!